How To Apply For Food Stamps In Kentucky

June 19, 2010

Step 1 (optional): Take the prescreening test here to see if you are eligible.

Step 2: To apply, print out a PDF application here.

Step 3: Once you have completed your application, you may mail, fax, or deliver it to your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) office.

Note: Find your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) office here.

For assistance, please call: (502) 564-7050

Applying For Kentucky Food Stamps

Food stamps, or SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) as it is currently technically called, was set up to help persons in the U.S. who’re having problems paying for food because they’re earning a low income. SNAP granted assistance to over 40 million Americans in 2010.

Any individual in the United States can apply for food stamps, regardless of their background, race, sex, or religion. The typical person received $101/month from the SNAP program in 2008, making it possible for them to pay for bread, milk, meat, produce, fresh fruits and even garden seeds.

For you to become accepted into the food stamp program, you must meet certain monetary as well as situational requirements. Particular documents of proof of your eligibility are needed when you apply.

Kentucky Applicant Requirements

For many people under the age of 60, you cannot possess greater than $2,000 in assets. If you or another person in your household is at least 60 years old, that limit is elevated to $3,000. TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program) or SSI (Supplemental Security Income), aren’t considered assets when you are applying for food stamps. Resources which do count towards your total assets include cash, money saved in a bank account and in some cases a vehicle.

There’s also an income limit, which depends on the number of people dwelling in your home at the time that you apply for food stamps.

The sum of your expenses is also factored in. The total you spend for child or elderly care, rent or mortgage and utilities will all be taken into account. In addition to that, there are also specific medical related expenditures that may add up towards your total expenses when applying for food stamps.

After applying for food stamps in Kentucky you will receive a response within 30 days as to whether you qualify or not. If you need food assistance right away, you may qualify for expedited service. Speak with your local office or caseworker to determine whether this option is available for you.

Persons that pass the requirements and have their application approved to start getting SNAP benefits, will be given an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card. The EBT card is used similar to a debit card to purchase food items at certain grocery stores, convenience stores, or even farmer markets.

How To Replace Your Kentucky EBT Card

If you have lost your card or if it is stolen, you will need to report it missing right away to avoid someone using your benefits without your knowledge. Once benefits have been spent, they cannot be replaced, even if they were stolen. To report it, call 1-888-979-9949. If your card is damaged and you need a replacement you will need to call the same number. The number is answered by an automated machine, so it is available 24/7.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

michael wilkinson October 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm

even though ive been laid off be a year november1st, and ive drawed my unemployment for almost that long. what is the most amount of money that i recieve that could enable me from getting these benefits

admin October 29, 2011 at 1:02 am

Hi there Michael,

Even if you are drawing unemployment you may still be eligible to receive food stamps.

The amount of money that each person is allotted for food stamps is dependent on the amount of money you receive each month.

The higher the payment from unemployment, the lower the chance you have of receiving food stamps, but it is always worth a try, especially as unemployment checks are not usually written for large and extravagant amounts.

My advice to you would be to go ahead and apply. On the application there is a section entitled: “What Money Do People in Your Household Get?”. Under the heading “Where does the money come from?”, you will find that the seventh option is entitled “Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation”. Fill out that section with your name and how much you receive in unemployment.

Once you have completed the rest of the application you can mail, fax or deliver it to your local Department of Community Based Services (DCBS) office.

The case worker will look at that information to determine whether you are eligible or not.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Leave a Comment